DTL(NA): A Downtown LA Non-Alcoholic Drink Guide
Monday March 13, 2023
Trend reports have coined it "sober curious," TikTokers are documenting their "dry January," and restaurants are listing more and more "NA (non-alcoholic)" cocktails on their drink menus. No matter what you call it, dabbling in an alcohol-free lifestyle is having its moment. So, whether you don’t drink at all or you're just looking to take a weekend break from booze, here are some suggestions to check out in Downtown LA.
- Redbird has one of the most robust drink programs in the city thanks, in large part, to Bar Director, Tobin Shea. They are currently offering several delicious no-ABV cocktails including Dora the Flora with Seedlip Spice 94, raspberry, ginger, lemon, and sparkling water, and Chester Copperpot with Lyres White Cane, lime, raspberry, cream, and orange blossom water. Each makes a perfect accompaniment to their small snacks like the everything Parker rolls served with date butter or the buttery Hiramasa crudo with blood orange ponzu, red shiso, and puffed rice.
- The Broad museum-adjacent, Otium has an impressive list of NA cocktails on its menu including several that feature the beloved non-alcoholic spirit, Seedlip. We love the elegant Seedlip Grove with flavors of yuzu, honey, lemon, and bubbles which pairs perfectly with something fresh and bright like their Bluefin Tuna tartare with Tamaki rice, pickled ginger, shiso, and wasabi
- Lilly Rose is the perfect whimsical speakeasy in The Wayfarer hotel. Known for their “not-so-proper” high tea service, they’re currently offering four mocktails including the Game, Set, Matcha with Lyres London dry, orgeat, lemon, egg whites, and matcha or the Welcome to Jamrock with Lemonade Marley CBD and peach raspberry CBD tea. Grab a friend and head down the rabbit hole.
- La Boucherie is a swanky steakhouse atop the iconic Intercontinental Hotel offering up some of the best views in all of DTLA. They’re currently serving several zero-ABV drinks including a delicious NA cucumber gimlet and the Berry Bee’s Knees with raspberry, honey, lemon juice, and soda. Be sure to make a reservation for the next time you want to impress someone, yourself included!
- The Slipperclutch is one of our favorite bars in DTLA with a loyal roster of pool playing regulars, divey vibes, and a killer soundtrack — this spot is a blast. Their menu is fairly simple offering a number of highballs which might not look super NA friendly at first, but their bartenders are always more than willing to mix up something no-ABV. We like keeping it basic with soda water and bitters but they also have a delicious tonic that tastes great with lime and bitters.
- Bar Magnolia is a real hidden gem in DTLA and so much more than the lobby bar at Hotel Figueroa. This cozy but stately space recently teamed up with NA booze brand, Three Spirit, and is currently offering some really special mocktails, including the Love Actual tea made with Three Spirit “Social Elixir,” chai, lemon, demerara sugar, apple cider, cinnamon, clove, and star anise.
- Death & Co is a sultry cocktail bar in the Art’s District offering small bites alongside some of the most experimental drinks in the city. Their expert bartenders are so good at making drinks, all you have to do is give them a flavor profile and they’ll create something NA for you on the spot. We love the Buko Gimlet, with Seedlip Garden 108, coconut water, pandan syrup, and fresh lime.
- This wouldn’t be a true NA guide without a suggestion for buying all things 0 proof for when you want to experiment at home. Flask & Field at ROW DTLA offers an impressive selection of various NA spirits, mixers, and more for you to try. Plus - their knowledgeable staff makes the entire experience easy.
Downtown LA is famous for its exciting nightlife and cutting-edge food and beverage culture, and with these suggestions that doesn’t have to come with the morning hangover!