The MIKADO microsuites, located at 331-335 E. 1st Street, includes 41 residential units in addition to a central courtyard and ground-floor commercial space. The building sits at the heart of the Little Tokyo Historic District, which spans the distance of 1st street between Judge John Aiso and Alameda Streets. This one-block stretch reflects the neighborhood's original character, decades before its surrounding blocks were developed with an assortment office buildings and shopping complexes.
The National Park Service indicates that the Mikado, designed by architect Alfred F. Priest, first opened in 1914. The hotel served a primarily Japanese clientele up to and after World War II. During the Bronzeville age, which spanned the course of Japanese American internment, the Mikado was transformed into the Shreveport Hotel and housed a well-known soul food restaurant.